Monday 25 May 2015

Once Upon A Time

I'm so fond of old Newfoundland buildings. Basil is too. I don't know how many times that we driven along somewhere and one of us will say to the other, "Look! Perfect picture!"

I'm by no means a photographer. I wish I could say it was a hobby, but I don't even spend enough time on it to make it a hobby. But I do love to take pictures. And, one of my favourite subjects is old Newfoundland buildings.

But I especially love old doors.

I have a long wall in my upstairs hallway that is a blank canvas that I'm determined to fill with pictures of old doors. 
However, it must be done just right and I need more old doors!




I'm sure I'm not the only one around that likes these old doors. 
I'm always thinking about the families that would have walked through these portals.

Where are they now?

Did the children all move away?

Do they live nearby?






With some of them, you can see the detail that went into installing them. 
What was once vivid colours, have now faded.
Wood worn with age, carved by the ocean wind. Cracking, splitting.

What would their previous owners think about them now?


Some of these doors haven't been abandoned. 
The one on the left is still used in the summer months when the previous occupant 'comes home' to visit. 

This is our neighbour's door.

Mr. Batten lives in Ontario now, to be closer to his daughters, but he still feels the pull of his family home. 
If all goes well, we hope to see him again soon. And of course, he'll come up the hill to have breakfast at The Bayside!



And then this last one.....


......is still being used daily!

Don't you just love it?

I sure do!















Why not walk through our door at The Bayside Bed and Breakfast?

Summer is quickly filling up so don't delay! Check our online availability today and book with us. Or, give me a call at 709-786-1500. I'll be happy to help you plan your escape to Newfoundland.

The Bayside Bed and Breakfast Online Availability

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Don't We Spice Things Up A Bit?

Here at The Bayside Bed and Breakfast, we love to cook! And that's any time of day. Breakfast is part of our name and all of our guest...