Thursday 12 March 2015

The Sounds of Silence

It was just the other morning that my husband brought it to my attention.
We had no guests the night before and I actually had the chance to sleep in. I was enjoying my second cup of coffee in bed. It does happen, once in awhile. Anyways, he turned to me and said,
           "Do you hear that?"
           "Hear what? I don't hear anything."
           "Exactly. Nothing. And it's nice."
Now, a little background information on Basil and myself.
Not too long ago, just a few years back, we used to live in southern Ontario in a place called Burlington. Burlington is a beautiful community on Lake Ontario located between Toronto and Hamilton, and only a short drive away from Niagara Falls and the American border. Life was good in Burlington. We had a beautiful home that we had worked hard to renovate in an older part of town. Lots of mature trees, close to the lake and only a short walk from a vibrant downtown that had great restaurants and shopping.
But we also lived close to a 'little' structure called the Skyway Bridge. Saved a lot of driving time for thousands of commuters who drove to and from the Niagara region to the urban sprawl of Toronto and surrounding area. But it was close. Very close. In the spring and summer months, the beautiful, mature trees hid it from view but at the end of fall and all of winter we could see it very clearly. But for twelve months of the year, 365 days of it, we could hear it. And I mean 24 hours a day we could hear it. Cars, truck, motorcycles--you name it, we could hear it. Now mind you, after living there as long as we did, we kind of didn't notice it as much but on a quiet morning when you would be drinking your coffee in bed, you heard it. Now, that was the price of living a fast paced life. And I didn't know any better until my husband brought me to Newfoundland for a visit. And that's when I got my first taste of the sound of silence. And you know what? I liked it. And except for the occasional call of the gull or a puff of air blown through their blow hole by a humpback whale, I'll keep my silence. Hope you don't mind the silence when you come for a visit!

Now what have I been up to since last week? Well, we took a drive with some friends to a small place called Broad Cove on the Baccalieu Trail. Even though we've had some freezing temperatures the last few days, the countryside still hasn't lost it's beauty.




















Isn't this gorgeous? You can see that beautiful blue sky, just peaking out behind those clouds. And that's what it was like all morning. We even stopped at this spot and had a bite to eat. No one around except the occasional bird. And windy. Whew! But what else would you expect at the edge of the world?





Now, you may wonder, why would I take a picture of a two-seater that obviously can't stand up to a little wind. But, that's me. I love taking pictures of a great splash of colour in the middle of a remote spot.


Do we get guests this time of year? Who would want to travel around the island when it's cold and snowy and blowy? Well, you'd be surprised. Here at the Bayside, we get quite a few people who still like to travel across their own island to visit family, participate in sports, travel for business or just want to take a break.
And even when it's cold, there's those who turn their thoughts to the warmer weather and who look forward to visiting our beautiful island province this coming season. And they have been busy making reservations and plans. Don't get caught short! Our reservation calendar is slowly filling up. So if you are planning on a visit, don't delay! Click our link below and check out our website soon. Come and discover why Newfoundland and Labrador is one of the most popular bucket list destinations in North America.

The Bayside Bed and Breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Don't We Spice Things Up A Bit?

Here at The Bayside Bed and Breakfast, we love to cook! And that's any time of day. Breakfast is part of our name and all of our guest...